Wellington Explorers is open to families who have at least one child with intellectual, creative or leadership ability in the top 5% for their age group within New Zealand. We encourage interested families to attend a club day before they decide whether to join.
In order to join, evidence of giftedness must be provided. This could be any of the following:
- A psychologist’s report (we only need to see the summary) or IQ test
- Evidence of achievement in the top 5% of the ICAS tests
- Membership of Mind Plus – NZ Centre for Gifted Education
- Membership of another branch or a similar organisation
- Acceptance to a GATE (Gifted And Talented Extension) programme.
- A letter from the child’s teacher or parent containing specific information about the child’s learning, social behaviour and development, which indicates ability in the top 5%.
The sites listed in the NZAGC library section give more information on giftedness, some of which might be useful when applying.
Once you have collated the information, it should be sent to the membership secretary, along with our APPLICATION FORM Wgtn Explorers Membership Form at 30 September 2018 v1
Please send the membership form, and evidence to Wellingtonexplorers.email@example.com
(If you have detailed reports and you want to keep some parts confidential, it’s okay to just send us the report summary).
It costs $65 per year ($32.50 from 1 July to 31 December) to join the Wellington branch of the NZAGC. Our bank account details are:
Wellington Association for Gifted Children, ANZ, 01-0519-0110935-000
Being a member you receive:
- A yearly subscription to the National Tall Poppies magazines
- Invites to Explorers club days and Explorers Extra events
- Parent discussion evenings
- Book libraries (National Office and Branch collections)
- Membership of the New Zealand Association of Gifted Children
- Closed Facebook page for parenting discussions
If you require more information please contact the membership secretary on Wellingtonexplorers.firstname.lastname@example.org